Saturday, July 10, 2010

Day 4: Goodbye See-Tee, Hello En-Why

Starting Point: New Milford, Connecticut

Ending Point: Newburgh, New York

Distance Traveled: 65 miles

The Great state of New York welcomed two cowboys with flat roads and blue skies – just what the doctor ordered for day four.

Chet and I were very unoptimistic before the ride this morning. Both of us made the assumption that the roads ahead were uphill. But the two of us were wrong, again. About 10 miles of empty, Connecticut roads took us to a downhill. At the bottom was a sign that read “Welcome to the Empire State.”

Passing state lines is such an accomplished feeling. Each of the fifty-nifty, beautiful united States are so large and unique – even Connecticut. Entering into New York meant that Chet and I could throw out one dirty, damp map and take out a fresh one. New York is the last state we travel before our first destination – the beautiful Keuka Lake.

After New York greeted us, we biked 10 miles before our first uphill of the day. The slant was long and gradual, but we conquered, thanks to a filling breakfast at American Pie, a restaurant recommended by a local. Also, Chet and I enjoyed a good eight-hour, good night sleep, lakeside on Candlewood Shores.

Chet and I enjoyed a New York-style lunch at a pizzeria, which energized us for the ride on route 55, through the valley of New York state mountains. At the pizzeria, I discussed the comparison of New York state pizza to Chicago, and authentic Italian pizza with the restaurant manager. He argued that New York-style pizza is the best pizza in the world – better than Italy’s. I disagree.

Everything seemed to go right on day four. We ran into zero bike problems, and biked many site-seeing miles. Our goal was to pass the Hudson River, in Beacon, New York, which we did in the early evening. Crossing the Newburgh Beacon Bridge over the Hudson, to route 17, the route that will take us to Keuka, rewarded us with our most accomplished feeling yet. Plus, the view from the bridge was breathe-taking. We saw steeple tops that outgrew the mountain’s trees, hundreds of houses on hills that all shared similar spectacular views of the river below us. Sailboats and big boats, speed boats and small boats crowded the distant water.

Lesson Learned: Take time to appreciate every beautiful image that surrounds us. We aren’t trying to beat any times; we are on the pursuit to pause time.

With the day’s hard work, Chet and I treated ourselves to a Denny’s dinner and a night stay at a Super 8 motel in Newburgh, New York. The thought behind our decision to stay at a motel was to reward ourselves, and to also protect ourselves. People don’t scare me as much as the powers of Mother Nature or the hunger of a wild beast, but the city of Newburgh is the city with the highest crime rate in the state. Chet and I wanted to play it safe.

The night’s stay at the motel provided us with a nice, warm shower and two large, soft beds. I’ve never appreciated either so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment